MARCH 2011

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Heirloom Tomatoes

One of the greatest things about summer time is the abundance of corn that is available. But that's not what this blog is about.

This blog is about another great thing that summer brings us - tomatoes!! I've been craving heirloom tomatoes since I saw a recipe for an heirloom tomato salad, however I couldn't find regular sized heirlooms. I did find grape heirlooms!! They are so adorable and sooooo yummy!

What did you do with the heirlooms? you ask. Well, I made bruschetta! Yum!


Here are all of the tomatoes combined with their friends garlic, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.


Here are all of the tomatoes on top of their other friend - french baguette.


Don't they just look so delicious!


Yummm...

I want some more but I can't find the little fellas anymore. Very sad.

So, the moral of the story is that if you can find them in a grocery store near you - BUY THEM AND USE THEM! You can thank me later.

For those of you who are not inclined to cook without a specific recipe (ie my sister - Kim) here you go:

- Quarter a cup, or as many as you like, grape heirloom tomatoes
- Mince a clove of garlic per cup of tomatoes
- Chop 3-4 leaves of basil based on how much you like
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar (taste it and adjust from there)
- Add salt and pepper if you like
- Slice a french baguette and toast it under the broiler
- Spoon the tomatoes on top of the toast. Eat with a glass of your favorite wine
(You can also add some parmesan cheese shavings if you are feeling super naughty!)

Enjoy!

Love,
Kelly

Linked up at Tatertots and Jello
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up       party!


P.S. So sorry about the horrible photography! My kitchen lighting is horrible and it was dark outside!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmm! Garlic, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar are some of my best friends too, hahaha! Thanks for sharing, I haven't tried heirloom tomatoes in a bruschetta yet.

I have seen grape heirlooms pretty regularly at my local Trader Joe's, if you have one nearby.

KellyS said...

Great idea AM! I will have to check out Joe's.